Robinson+Cole is a leading American law firm serving regional, national and global clients from offices throughout the Northeast and in Florida. Based in Hartford, Connecticut, the Insurance Capital of the United States, the firm represents more than 100 insurance and reinsurance companies in a wide array of matters throughout the United States.
Robinson+Cole’s Class Action Team handles class actions in numerous substantive areas, ranging from antitrust and employment to sales practices and securities. In many instances, we have achieved early dismissal of cases prior to commencement of discovery. In other cases, we have prevailed on an early motion to strike class allegations or successfully defeated plaintiffs’ motions for class certification. Our Team has a track record of developing and implementing strategies that lead to swifter, more cost-effective resolutions of class actions. Recent experience includes:
- Successful defense of a class action arising out of a major oil spill in Massachusetts; one of the very few class action trials resulting from an environmental incident.
- In 2010, represented a major insurer at a three-day evidentiary hearing on class certification in Florida state court. The judge denied class certification from the bench at the conclusion of the hearing.
- Defended major insurers in numerous putative class actions across the United States involving coverage issues and claim-handling practices.
Our Insurance + Reinsurance Group is frequently involved in some of the most sensitive, high-exposure insurance litigation nationwide. Our experience includes the following:
- National counsel for two Fortune 100 insurers in Hurricane Katrina litigation in which we authored briefs on behalf of the entire insurance industry on critical coverage issues.
- National counsel for a number of insurers in Chinese Drywall litigation pending in the Gulf Coast states and Virginia.
- Conducted numerous jury and bench trials to verdict in complex insurance cases, and conducted lengthy and complex arbitrations of insurance and reinsurance disputes.
- Serve as national appellate counsel for insurers, and have represented major insurance industry associations as amicus curiae in high-profile appeals.
Robinson+Cole is consistently ranked as one of the top litigation firms by the Chambers guides, US News & World Report’s Best Law Firms Survey, and Benchmark Litigation.